IT6601 MOBILE COMPUTING L T P C 3 0 0 3
The student should be made to:
· Understand the basic concepts of mobile computing
· Be familiar with the network protocol stack
· Learn the basics of mobile telecommunication system
· Be exposed to Ad-Hoc networks
· Gain knowledge about different mobile platforms and application development
At the end of the course, the student should be able to:
· Explain the basics of mobile telecommunication system
· Choose the required functionality at each layer for given application
· Identify solution for each functionality at each layer
· Use simulator tools and design Ad hoc networks
· Develop a mobile application
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Mobile Computing – Mobile Computing Vs wireless Networking – Mobile Computing Applications –
Characteristics of Mobile computing – Structure of Mobile Computing Application. MAC Protocols –
Wireless MAC Issues – Fixed Assignment Schemes – Random Assignment Schemes – Reservation
UNIT II MOBILE INTERNET PROTOCOL AND TRANSPORT LAYER 9
Overview of Mobile IP – Features of Mobile IP – Key Mechanism in Mobile IP – route Optimization.
Overview of TCP/IP – Architecture of TCP/IP- Adaptation of TCP Window – Improvement in TCP
UNIT III MOBILE TELECOMMUNICATION SYSTEM 9
Global System for Mobile Communication (GSM) – General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) –
Universal Mobile Telecommunication System (UMTS).
UNIT IV MOBILE AD-HOC NETWORKS 9
Ad-Hoc Basic Concepts – Characteristics – Applications – Design Issues – Routing – Essential of
Traditional Routing Protocols –Popular Routing Protocols – Vehicular Ad Hoc networks ( VANET) –
MANET Vs VANET – Security.
UNIT V MOBILE PLATFORMS AND APPLICATIONS 9
Mobile Device Operating Systems – Special Constrains & Requirements – Commercial Mobile
Operating Systems – Software Development Kit: iOS, Android, BlackBerry, Windows Phone – MCommerce – Structure – Pros & Cons – Mobile Payment System – Security Issues.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS.
1. Prasant Kumar Pattnaik, Rajib Mall, “Fundamentals of Mobile Computing”, PHI Learning Pvt.
Ltd, New Delhi – 2012.