CS6303 Computer Architecture Notes
Post date: May 5, 2017 12:29:04 AM
CS6303 COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE L T P C 3 0 0 3
o To make students understand the basic structure and operation of digital computer.
o To understand the hardware-software interface.
o To familiarize the students with arithmetic and logic unit and implementation of fixed point and floating-
point arithmetic operations.
o To expose the students to the concept of pipelining.
o To familiarize the students with hierarchical memory system including cache memories and virtual memory.
o To expose the students with different ways of communicating with I/O devices and standard I/O interfaces.
UNIT I OVERVIEW & INSTRUCTIONS 9
Eight ideas – Components of a computer system – Technology – Performance – Power wall – Uniprocessors to
multiprocessors; Instructions – operations and operands – representing instructions – Logical operations –
control operations – Addressing and addressing modes.
UNIT II ARITHMETIC OPERATIONS 7
ALU – Addition and subtraction – Multiplication – Division – Floating Point operations – Subword parallelism.
UNIT III PROCESSOR AND CONTROL UNIT 11
Basic MIPS implementation – Building datapath – Control Implementation scheme – Pipelining – Pipelined datapath
and control – Handling Data hazards & Control hazards – Exceptions.
UNIT IV PARALLELISM 9
Instruction-level-parallelism – Parallel processing challenges – Flynn’s classification – Hardware
multithreading – Multicore processors AULibrary.com
UNIT V MEMORY AND I/O SYSTEMS 9
Memory hierarchy – Memory technologies – Cache basics – Measuring and improving cache performance –
Virtual memory, TLBs – Input/output system, programmed I/O, DMA and interrupts, I/O processors.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessey, “Computer organization and design’,
Morgan Kauffman / Elsevier, Fifth edition, 2014.
1. V.Carl Hamacher, Zvonko G. Varanesic and Safat G. Zaky, “Computer Organisation“,
VI th edition, Mc Graw-Hill Inc, 2012.
2. William Stallings “Computer Organization and Architecture” , Seventh Edition , Pearson Education, 2006.
3. Vincent P. Heuring, Harry F. Jordan, “Computer System Architecture”,
Second Edition, Pearson Education, 2005.
4. Govindarajalu, “Computer Architecture and Organization, Design Principles and Applications”,
first edition, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2005.
5. John P. Hayes, “Computer Architecture and Organization”, Third Edition,
Tata Mc Graw Hill, 1998. 6. http://nptel.ac.in/.